Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Project Update

It's been a busy winter behind the scenes at Project Tiger. I've been overwhelmed by the number of requests I've had for talks at dive clubs around the country. I've talked at the University of Edinburgh, Arbeia Dive Centre in South Shields, CPAS in Lisbon, Portugal and Cave and Wreck Night in Amsterdam, organised by my good friend JP Bresser. The talks are generating a lot of interest, and the feedback is that we're doing a good thing, and people want to get involved, and more interestingly, are starting to set up their own projects too. Great news for wreck diving as a sport, I think.

You'll have seen the sketches that I put up a while back of our survey efforts. Overall I was pretty pleased with our work on these, but I felt that there was more to be done. I came across a company called 3deep Media who have done some amazing work on the wrecks of Scapa Flow, making visual representations of these ships in a way that takes the whole wreck documentation to another level. I started talking to them about our project, and they seemed interested - good news.

I send Mike Postons at 3deep all of our survey data, some diagrams and plans of the LST's and let him at it. I went down to Cornwall a few weeks ago to see the results. I have to say, I was impressed beyond belief. Mike has created a 3d model of LST531, where it is possible to fly around the wreck site, navigating all of our finds and basically viewing it "as if you were there". I cannot think of a better way to record and conserve these wrecks, than in a virtual 3d space. What a resource for anyone wanting to research the history of Exercise Tiger, or to look at the final resting place of a family member that fought on this vessel.

A few screen grabs for your titillation...






No comments:

Post a Comment